Earlier in the year, there were several republican candidates that claimed that God had told them to run for president, such as Rick Santorum, Michelle Bachmann, Herman Cain and Rick Perry. If God controls the election process and has the ultimate say in which candidate receives the nomination and wins the election, then the fact that he chose a Mormon candidate over a Protestant or Catholic Christian must mean something. What, exactly, is the meaning behind his choice? If I were a protestant or a Catholic, I'd be wondering about a few things right now, and asking myself the following questions:
1) Does God REALLY choose candidates or influence politics?
2) If he does choose candidates, does choosing Romney mean that he now prefers Mormons to Christians*?
3) If God does NOT choose candidates, then does that mean that Mitt Romney is the anti-Christ?
4) In the event that either #2 or #3 is true, then should I be ordering a copy of the Book of Mormon and begin the process of conversion to get a jump on the crowds?
How do Christians explain the fact that their God chose a Mormon candidate over evangelicals such as Rick Perry, Michelle Bachmann or Herman Cain, or a pious Catholic such as Rick Santorum? For that matter, how do they explain the fact that God chose Barack Obama in the last election over John McCain and his evangelical bible-thumping partner, Sarah Palin?
* Many evangelicals and other Christians don't feel Mormons are "real" Christians